Thursday, October 9, 2014

Welcome! Melissa Reyes!

Hello. Hola. Oi. Buongiorno. My name is Melissa Reyes and this is the first time I have ever written a blog. Ha-ha. Let’s see where this journey takes us. I am a student majoring in Biology at Penn State Berks.

How did I happen to land at Berks you might ask? Well it all started when I moved to Pennsylvania at the age of eight. I was born in Manhattan, New York, but grew up in Reading, Pennsylvania, and ever since, the love for Penn State was planted in my family. It grew into a beautiful garden. Both my brother and I came to Penn State Berks after graduating high school. I can definitely say that was the best decision I made so far because I am currently in love with life. Penn State Berks has helped me come out of my shy shell, which I was hiding in all throughout high school.

Oh boy what a ride it has been, from getting involved with the Latino Unity Club my freshman year, to becoming a Lion Ambassador my junior year. I was able to meet so many awesome people and even study abroad in the Dominican Republic and get my Spanish on. Studying Abroad was a life changing experience because it helped me realize that the medical field is where I would like to pursue my career.

I was able to volunteer at three different hospitals and see how blessed we are here in the United States, because in the Dominican Republic many times supplies run out and the hospital staff have to quickly run to the nearest pharmacy to get the materials they need. My goal is to be able to become a doctor in order to help those in need, not only in the United States, but around the world. I feel it is important not to think that we are unable to make a change in the world because, just like it says in the Bible, “I can do all through Christ who strengthens me” (Phillipians 4:13).

So whenever I am not working on my career goals or visiting my family members (my mom is one of eighteen), you could probably find me at church. Apart from my studies, learning about Jesus is one of my passions. At Church I not only learn about God, but I am also learning how to play the guitar, and direct the youth group meetings. It was at church that I met my prince, Emmanuel, and have fallen more in love each day. He has taught me that even when things get difficult I should never give up on my dreams and I am very thankful for him.

So when life gives us lemons, let’s go ahead and make some refreshing lemonade. Life has so many beautiful things to offer.

Melissa



No comments:

Post a Comment