Friday, October 24, 2014

Welcome back! Katie Zambanini!

Hi everyone! My name is Katarina, but you can call me “Katie”! Some people actually call me “Simba”, which is somewhat of an inside joke with my orientation team, Royal Blue.  (For orientation, students are broken into different color teams, such as: Royal Blue, Green Machines, Smooth Orange Operators, Yellow Fellows, etc. you get the idea!)  Well the Royal Blue orientation leaders used me in our team chant, and I represented Simba from the Lion King. The music from the beginning of the movie played, and our team captain actually lifted me up, after another team member drew on my forehead with blue paint, like Rafiki does with Simba in the movie.

As a junior at Berks, I am studying Communication Arts and Sciences. Words have always been fascinating to me! Along with that I am also pursuing two minors, Professional Writing and Psychology. I’m also halfway done completing my Public Relations Minor! I really believe that knowledge is power, so you can never have enough of it!

I am Chair of Workers for the Campus Activities Board (CAB) and interact with the “Cabbies”. Cabbies are the members of CAB that come to meetings and volunteer to work at the events that we organize for the students. I work with an executive board of five lovely ladies!

Giving tours over the summer during my Internship with the Admissions Office was amazing, and I get to continue that through my involvement with the Lion Ambassadors (LA). In this organization I am involved with the Historian committee, which I ran last year. I also seem to have fallen into the role as “Official Lion Ambassador Photographer”!

I was recently given the honor of Assistant Canning Captain for the Berks Benefiting THON chapter, which means the world to me. After losing someone very special to cancer my senior year of High School, any way I be involved with THON is time well spent for me. Along with Assistant Canning Captain I also get to do the photography for THON too, while being involved with both the Family Relations and Public Relations committees! #OrangeTeam!


This semester is my first semester ever being a Peer Mentor to a First Year Seminar of about twenty-five students. The class is taught by Dr. Paul Esqueda, the Senior Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. It has been absolutely amazing so far and I am really enjoying teaching! I adore my students!

Along with my involvement in the Peer Mentor Program I am the current president of our Residence Hall Council. This is a club that acts as a liaison for the students to the offices of Residence Life and Housing & Food Services. In this club I get to work with my executive board of three marvelous men and myself.

I sit on a number of committees, including Student Activities Fund, Homecoming, and Camp Out For Hunger. It keeps life interesting!

When I’m not in class studying the art of rhetoric, learning how to write a press release, or interpreting the timbre and rhythm of music (all of which I do during my classes this semester). I have a lot of hobbies for my scarce amount of free time.

One of my favorite hobbies is photography. I feel the most comfortable behind the lens of a camera! You can view my work at this link: www.facebook.com/SmilesbyKi 

Some other things I enjoy doing include reading fictional books, blogging, and spending time with those that I care about the most.


Speaking of those that I care about move, I’m very excited that a few weeks ago my boyfriend and I celebrated our one year anniversary! Last year, when I first started to write for this blog, my introduction post explained that he had just recently asked me out. Time really does fly! I can’t believe it’s been over a year since he and I started dating. Overall, he is the one that keeps me sane, and life would be unbearable without him!

Overall life at Berks is pretty awesome! It can get a little busy, but it makes life interesting! I’m learning so many new things, not to mention I have so many experiences to put on my resume! I am so excited to write more posts for you all, but this is where I leave you for the first one! I will finish this post with a quote that I hope you will reflect on.

 “Wherever you go, go with your whole heart.”

This is exactly what I intend to do with my time at Berks.

Katarina Zambanini


No comments:

Post a Comment