Friday, October 31, 2014

My First White Out Game!

Hello again everyone! It’s Ali again!

Almost all of us together
(Almost) All of us together
This weekend I had the most amazing experience and I could not wait to share it with you guys! I got to attend the Ohio State game, which also happened to be my first white out! I have to say, I love good football and I love Penn State, so the combination of this intense game made the trip up to University Park totally worth it.

I had the chance to go to the game with some of my favorite people and spent the day downtown shopping for more Penn State gear. (I am pretty sure every Penn Stater can agree that you can never have enough.) I got the chance to eat at Are You Hungry, a sandwich shop with the most creative and calorie-loaded but delicious, sandwiches I have ever eaten.  I highly recommend this place if you find yourself craving a big meal in State College. Your taste buds will thank you.

Laney on the Mural
Laney on the Mural
I also had the chance to visit the mural. If you have yet to do this, I am telling you now, it is a sight to see. It was amazing to see one of Berks Benefitting THON’s kids on the wall. Laney is an inspiration to anyone who hears her story. It was o heartwarming to see her honored in such a way.

Ali and friends
I love these two!
For those of you who have not seen the game, let’s just say the double overtime and electrified student section made the atmosphere of Beaver Stadium almost overwhelming.  I have never cheered so hard in my life. Between the free pom-poms, the Blue Band, and the Nittany Lion crowd surfing, it was definitely a night to remember.  I can only imagine how those watching it on TV felt. I used my pom-pom as a stress ball. It ended up so crumpled it was almost unrecognizable by the end of the game.

I was so worried before Penn State scored their first touchdown, but before I knew it, the stadium erupted with cheers and I was being thrown in the air in celebration of the first points PSU put on the board. I had a fantastic view of the sea of white while in the air. What better way to celebrate than that? Somewhere between the PSU chants and signing “Sweet Caroline” at the top of our lungs, Penn State lost.

The team pre-game
Pre-game
Although the original shock of the loss hit us all hard, the gathering and linking of arms to sing the Alma Mater brightened our spirits. The football team sang with us to end our night. In that moment, I realized that what made being a Penn Stater so important to me was being demonstrated in front of my eyes. It was truly an awesome experience. I look forward to the next game and the spirit that only my fellow Penn Staters can understand.

Until Next Time,

Ali


No comments:

Post a Comment