Thursday, November 8, 2012

James McCarty - Homecoming 2012


This year has seemed almost like a dream for me, and this past weekend was the icing on the cake in a sense. I was asked by Chancellor Hillkirk of Penn State Berks to represent our campus during a halftime ceremony this past weekend during the Penn State vs. Ohio State football game. The ceremony was intended to highlight the academic achievement of our students throughout the University. Having played football for the majority of my life, it has always been a dream of mine to hear my name being announced, echoing from the speakers at Beaver stadium, and I can now say that my dream has now become a reality. It was a breathtaking sight to walk down the Penn State sideline and hear the roar of the crowds. The stadium seemed to be packed to its brim with a sea of white. I was truly left speechless. I stopped a few times just to focus on my surroundings and take everything in. It was truly an honor to be able to represent Penn State Berks to the University as a whole. Once back inside the pathway under the stadium, I stopped to thank Chancellor Hillkirk, and as I turned around President Rodney Erickson was standing next to me. I also had my picture taken with him. This weekend was truly a highlight of my life.

One of the best parts about everything was that I was chosen because of how hard I have worked in the classroom as well as around campus, but I feel as though I was undeserving of such an honor. I have been driven to do well academically in order to achieve my goals, which I personally set for my education. I have also done extra-curricular activities because I have enjoyed helping other people, and I believe that I got as much from helping others as they have. I feel as though I was rewarded for doing nothing more than achieving my goals and doing what I set my mind to do. I am truly appreciative and humbled from this event and my experiences. Thank you Chancellor Hillkirk!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment