Friday, November 21, 2014

Learning to Give Back

Hola! Hello again!

This past week I was able to participate in a first-year seminar class. It took me back to when I was a freshman and was a bit lost, because I didn’t know too much about the campus at the time. Helping out in the panel for the first-year students made me understand how important it is to give back. I was reminded that just like the freshmen, I too was filled with questions and curiosities when I was in their shoes. I wondered where college would take me and knew I would need a lot of help along the way. Being able to answer questions and hear the stories of my friends’ experiences as they started college filled me with passion and excitement.

Lion Ambassadors being silly

It made my love for helping others grow. Helping others and placing a grain of sand for future Penn State graduates is something we might not see as influential in the moment, but it is something that families do. I am blessed to say that I am part of the loving Penn State family that strives to make you the best you can be. My Seventh Day Adventist family has also steered me in a positive direction.

Melissa with friends

Just like teachers and students helped me grow, I would like to continue lending a hand and you can do it too. I learned in high school as I listened to a guest speaker “once you reach your floor, don’t forget to send the elevator back down.” While achieving our dreams we can help others get closer to theirs as well. Let’s not be afraid to reach out to others and bring their beautiful smiles out too.

“And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works.” (Heb 10:24)

Until next time,

Melissa Reyes



No comments:

Post a Comment