Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Executive Position Life Lessons

LA Secretary Katie Zambanini
I am very fortunate to say that, in my four and a half semesters so far as a student at Berks that I’ve had some fantastic opportunities to be a part of multiple clubs and organizations that have brought me happiness, networking opportunities, leadership experience, and much smiling and laughter!

Along with brining me happiness, smiles and laughter, my involvement with these organizations and clubs have brought me something else as well, and these are executive positions.

During my time serving as multiple different executive positions of different clubs and organizations, each title has brought me more than just another item to add to my resume. These titles have enlightened me and taught me “little life lessons” that I know will not cease to help in my day-to-day life.

"Success is achieved through sacrifice and great attention to detail." (Unknown) 

Secretary has taught me that you must be detailed with anything you attempt. Generally, the secretary of a club records minutes of what is talked about during the meeting so that it can be referred to and it can be accessed for future needs. It is ideal to take the best notes possible in order to give the best representation of what happened during a meeting. Likewise, if you are detailed and putting a lot of effort into everything you do, the results can amaze you!

“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” (Charles Dickens)

Vice President has shown me that you must support others. As the Vice President, it is your job to not only support your board, but your president. If the president is unable to complete their duties for some reason, it’s your job to step up and support them, which usually tends to mean (but isn’t limited to) aiding them in completing what must get done. When your friend needs you, it’s your job to step up and help them. A vice president is to their president, how a friend is to another friend. You’re always there, having their “back”, so that when necessary, you are there and able to support them and are familiar with the best way to do so.

“When the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, it may be that they take better care of it.” (Cecil Selig) 

President has taught me many things, but one of the most important things is that, very similar to your attitude and your mindset, life is what you make it. It is your job to take initiative to change something that isn’t up to par. Many people look up to individuals in the role of president, and if you can take the initiative to act in a way that can inspire others, everyone can accomplish an incredible amount. If the grass looks greener on the other side, change that. Reflect on if you are taking the best care on your side. If you are not happy with something that is going on, do something about it. When others see you taking this initiative, they may feel inspired to act as well. Presidents are leaders, and must act like one, to not only inspire others, but also give a positive example for others.

“What I liked about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.” (Karl Lagerfeld) 

Historian has taught me that moments and memories are too important to let slip away. As historian I was in charge of managing the photographs that our group took. These pictures allowed us to look back and almost relive the moment. Many of these moments were so special and could not be lost. It is important to do what is necessary to hold on to important moments and memories, whether it is taking a picture, saving a postcard, or anything in between

Overall, executive positions can help you develop as a person, not only professionally, but also mentally and emotionally. I wouldn’t trade these, or any of the countless other lessons I’ve learned for anything. They have all helped me develop as a person and grow as a student leader.  

-Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment