Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Embedded Course Trip to South Africa

Hello everyone! I had such an amazing Spring Break 2014! This past Spring Break I had the opportunity to spend 10 days in South Africa, Johannesburg specifically. I had the chance to go through an embedded Honors course here at Penn State Berks. This course and trip have taught me so much about how other people and cultures live. We did so many exciting things!

Penn State Berks Spring Break 2014 group

Petting baby lionsWe went to a place called “Lion Park” that houses many different animals, lions in particular. They send you on a mini-safari to see them. My favorite part of our trip to “Lion Park” was when we were allowed to PET A BABY LION!!! THAT’S RIGHT GUYS I GOT TO PET SIMBA!!

Another exciting and life changing experience was when I got to go volunteer at Nkosi’s Haven, a South African NGO that provides support and holistic care to those effected by HIV/AIDS. Playing and interacting with the women and children of Nkosi’s changed my perception on what it means to live. These children, despite living rough and hard lives, smile and play. This happy, youthful spirit puts a smile on my face and helps me remember that we are all happy to be alive.

Basically my week in South Africa was amazing, the people changed the way I think, the animals made me remember how small I am, and the food was to die for! Please, if you are ever given the opportunity to go abroad, do it! It is so incredibly worth it!

-Zach

Lions!

No comments:

Post a Comment