Thursday, November 14, 2013

From PSU Berks, to an Internship, to a Job

36 days until graduation and counting! Wow! I seriously cannot wait. Hard work truly pays off. Because of this, I am able to graduate a semester early thanks to working hard in all of my classes and taking a few extra credits each semester. It has come to the point in the semester where the amount of work is just in overload.

More importantly I am going to talk to you a little bit about my internship.  I have been interning at Target since June and I love every minute of it. My first interaction with Target as a potential employer was in my BA321 class with Professor Laurie my sophomore year. Then I saw Target again at our career fair. Target looks specifically for juniors going into their senior year. At the time, I was only a sophomore. I interviewed for the internship and sadly did not receive an offer, but I didn't give up there.  My junior year Target was yet again at our career fair and I saw a few familiar faces. I interviewed with them again and was offered an internship! I was so excited! Their internship program was 10 weeks long over the summer, working 40 hours a week. I couldn't be happier working anywhere else. 

Kate Harley working at TargetUnlike other internships, where you are getting coffee or filing paperwork, Target gives you a massive amount of responsibility. I learned the role of Leader on Duty and how to run the store efficiently. I interned specifically in the Guest Experience work center. My mentor, Christy, just went above and beyond in training me how to be an executive in a Target store. At the end of my 10-week internship all of the interns in my district had to present an Operational Review in front of about 25 people. It was quite nerve racking knowing that my future was on the line. After the presentations were all over all of the interns left and all of the Store Team Leaders and a few of our District Leaders stayed and decided who they would plan to offer an Executive Team Leader position to upon their graduation. They let us know what day to be expecting a call. I happened to be on vacation in Myrtle Beach during that week. 

I anxiously sat by my phone in our hotel room awaiting the call.  I was ecstatic when I answered the phone to find out that I was receiving an offer! I couldn't believe it! The best part about this was that I could go into my senior year knowing that I was going to have a job after I graduate. This semester I have remained at Target as an extended intern. My focus currently has been in Human Resources. I was able to assist our Human Resources Executive, Jaime, with our 4th quarter planning and hiring. In retail 4th quarter is obviously the busiest time of the year and we worked hard to hire close to 60 seasonal team members for our store. My start date with Target as an executive is January 13th and I am extremely excited to start my career.  Thanks to the connections Penn State Berks has made with Target, I was lucky enough to have this great opportunity presented to me.

-Kate Harley

No comments:

Post a Comment