Friday, February 22, 2013

Katie Eggert - THON



“At that moment, the greatest, most inspirational journey of my life had begun.”
Katie Eggert discusses dancing for THON

Katie with the Nittany Lion

Early last week, I had plans of driving myself and 10 other students to University Park to begin the greatest weekend of the year. That weekend is THON. For those of you who do not know, THON is an organization that raises money and awareness for pediatric cancer for the Four Diamonds Fund. THON weekend is a 46-hour no-sleeping, no-sitting dance marathon. 710 lucky, passionate dancers are chosen to dance the whole 46 hours. Last Wednesday, I was sitting in the library getting some last minute things taken care of before leaving for the weekend until I received a text message from our overall THON chair saying she needed to talk to me. My first thought was “Oh my God I am going to get in trouble! What could I have done?” That was the moment I was offered one of the four dancer positions after unfortunately hearing one dancer could not do it due to illness. I began to shake and accepted the offer; I cannot even explain the emotions running through my mind.
THON logo
The other three dancers and I all agreed on one thing: the magnitude of the event did not hit us until we entered the Bryce Jordan Center. Walking through the human tunnel entering the BJC was absolutely incredible. Before entering the BJC, I saw my parents and sister. At that moment, I began to cry at the amazing opportunity I had been given. We entered the BJC and went back to dancer storage where every dancer is given a locker to keep belongings, which is decorated by our moralers. My moraler was absolutely incredible and kept me going through the weekend, especially at my extreme low points. We walked out onto the floor and began to stretch. Six o’clock was quickly approaching and soon the countdown began.  “10… 9… 8… 7… 6… 5… 4… 3… 2… 1” At that moment, the greatest, most inspirational journey of my life had begun.

The BJC was full of energy and we couldn’t be any happier. When the first inspirational video was played, it struck me what exactly I was doing. I began to sob knowing I am a part of something that is so much bigger than myself. As time went by, my energy began to dwindle done. At one point of the weekend, it became very difficult to stay awake. I had ice down my back, was put outside a couple of times, and nothing seemed to be having a long-term effect. I was then placed in the ice bath. As much as I hated it, it definitely woke me up!!! 
This past weekend was the most amazing experience; there are no true words to explain. I cannot thank everyone enough for all the support and the encouraging dancer mail and letters. I also cannot thank you enough for the piggyback rides and foot massages. I dance for those who can’t. I dance for the fight. I dance for the cure. I dance for the kids. One day we will dance in celebration. Until then, we dance for the cure. FTK, always and forever.           


No comments:

Post a Comment